The Accountant position provides individuals and companies with the accounting and tax analysis to enable Bourke’s clients to make important financial decisions. The Accountant position involves analyzing and creating financial documents, identifying areas needing improvement, providing sound accounting procedures, and forecasting future profits. The job responsibilities include analyzing all financial transactions, from fixed payments and variable expenses to bank deposits and budgets, auditing financial documents and procedures, reconciling bank statements, calculating tax payments and returns, generating accurate quantitative information on the financial position, and ensuring compliance with all tax regulations for portfolio of Bourke clients. Reporting to the Managing Partner, the Accountant position regularly communicates with their portfolio of clients using a variety of methods (i.e., email, phone, video conference, in-person) and explains difficult financial concepts in an approachable demeanor.
What Knowledge Skills and Abilities You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other relevant field such as Finance or Economics from accredited college or university OR minimum five (5) years’ experience as a bookkeeper or junior accountant for a portfolio of clients or an in-house accounting/finance department
- Demonstrable and proficient knowledge of accounting regulations and procedures, including the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Current National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers (NACPB) certification
- Valid IRS Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) and minimum three (3) years’ experience in preparing state and federal tax returns for both individual and corporate clients
- Current IRS Enrolled Agent or completion at least one (1) of three modules in Special Enrollment Exam (SEE)
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience and demonstrable proficiency with Intuit Lacerte Tax
- Current QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop Certifications or ability to obtain within thirty (30) days of hire
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel including pivot tables and VLookups
- Intermediate to Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Insurable driving record for occasional travel to client sites and professional development opportunities
- Ability to work extended hours during peak tax season between January 2<sup>nd</sup> through Tax Day
- Possess a clear background history free of bankruptcies and judgments
- Verbal & Written Communication Skills: Demonstrated success in explaining complex financial statements and tax regulations in a simple and clear way to non-specialist clients both verbally and in writing
- Time Management: Ability to prioritize tasks and take responsibility for professional workload to ensure all deadlines are met
- Organizational Skill: Ability to work through complex issues and tasks methodically
- Attention to Detail: Maintains a systematic way to cross-check work for accuracy
- Critical Thinking: Ability to analyze a client’s financial standing, goals, and tax history to resolve problems and optimize accounting procedures
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a comfortable safe environment where clients can raise questions and express concerns and alleviate client anxiety about tax issues
- Advanced degree such as Master’s in Accounting or other relevant field such as Finance or Economics or Master of Business Administration degree from an accredited college or university
- Current Kentucky notary public or willingness to earn commission within six (6) months
Personal Attributes & Values
- Impeccable honesty and integrity with a deep respect for confidentiality
- Sense of humor
- Strong work ethic with bias towards action
- Ability to identify and address problems as they arise; comfortable taking control of challenging situations;
- Self-awareness to identify and manage stressful situations
- Service orientation with the ability to work both independently and in a collaborative setting with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances
This position is primarily located in an office environment. Able to perform the following duties with or without accommodation:
- Sit at a desk, conference room or workstation for the entirety of assigned work hours/shift
- Ability to operate computer and office equipment
- Access transportation to occasionally travel to attend client meetings
- Occasional travel to local, state, and national events or meetings for professional development
- Communicate in clear speaking voice in person, before large audiences and over audio or video-based communications applications (e.g. phone, Zoom)
- Able to occasionally lift 25 lbs. pounds
Benefits & Compensation
This is a regular, full-time, exempt position scheduled Mondays through Fridays, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. The salary range for this position is $50,000 -$57,000, depending on experience and identified competencies. Full-time employees are eligible to participate in benefits the first of the month following the date of hire. Benefits include:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage at 100% for employees
- 10 days of PTO in your first year AND 11 paid holidays including Derby Day!
- SIMPLE IRA contributions after 1 year of service
- Bourke Perks! We work hard, play hard, and celebrate life! Here are just a few of the perks we are proud to offer our team….Daily office snacks and daily lunch during tax season, Wednesday team lunches, ability to participate in the Book Club, monthly team building excursions in the off-season, and professional development opportunities. We honor your work anniversary and provide goodies at Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Our annual Christmas soiree includes a dinner and an overnight stay for you and your guest at an upscale local hotel.
How to Join the Bourke Team
To apply for this position, please prepare a resume and cover letter and complete the application here. Due to the size of our operations, we are unable to take phone inquiries about positions.
Note: Bourke Accounting LLC does not have the resources to sponsor visas, nor any open positions eligible for the H-1B program.
Bourke Accounting LLC fully and actively supports equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. We see candidates with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, community building, and meaningful connection with a broad range of people and institutions.